Acceptable User Guidelines - Department of Education Network and
1. User accounts inactive for three or more months (i.e. no logins
or file uploads) will be deleted as they pose a security risk and
tie up valuable system resources.
2. Users are responsible for their account(s). Users should make
appropriate use of the system and network-provided protection features
and take precautions against others obtaining access to their computer
resources. Individual password security is the responsibility of
3. Users are forbidden from using techniques designed to cause
damage to, deny access by legitimate users of computers or network
components connected to the Internet or result in the loss of the
4. Users shall not use another user's account or password without
5. Users are forbidden from circumventing security measures on
school or remote computers and networks.
6. Users shall not down-load, install or run security programs
or utilities which reveal weaknesses in the security of a system.
For example, the users shall not run password cracking programs
on any of the Department's computing systems.
7. Users are prohibited from sending unsolicited, commercial and/or
8. Users are prohibited from using any form of electronic media
(ex. e- mail or web pages) to harass intimidate or otherwise annoy
9. Users shall not make copies of system configuration files (e.g.
etc/passwd) for their own, unauthorized personal use or to provide
to other people/users for unauthorized uses.
10. Users may post pages that are consistent with the public, non-profit
educational mission of the Department of Education and are in compliance
with all state and federal laws, including those prohibiting obscenity,
defamation or copyright infringement.
11. Use of the Department of Education network resources to illegally
distribute or duplicate unauthorized copyrighted or licensed material
12. Use of the Department of Education network to post, send, or
retrieve pornographic material, inappropriate text or graphic files,
or files dangerous to the integrity of the network are prohibited.
13. Use of the Department of Education network system in a manner
that encumbers system and network resources to the point that usage
causes interference with others' services is prohibited.
14. The Department of Education network and computing resources
shall not be used for political lobbying.
15. The Department of Education is a non-commercial user of the
web and use of the web must remain non-commercial. No personal money-making
activity may be conducted through the use of the Department's computing
and networking resources.
16. The Department of Education is not responsible or liable for
materials in violation. Users are responsible for the content of
their postings and obtaining all necessary permissions or licenses
for any material used.
17. Users shall not make unauthorized copies of copyrighted software,
except as permitted by law or by the owner of the copyright.
18. Sending or receiving unlawful information via electronic communications;
using electronic communications illegally in ways that violate local,
state, federal, or international laws or statutes are prohibited.
19. Users shall always cooperate with requests from the system
administrators for information about the users' computing activities.
20. Users are requested to report any weaknesses in the Department
of Education's computer security, any incidents of possible misuse
or violation of this agreement to the proper authorities by contacting
Network Support Services Branch by sending electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
21. The Department of Education reserves the right to investigate
and monitor any accounts, servers, or machines suspected of policy
22. The Department of Education reserves the right to disconnect
any device that is the source of malicious or suspicious activities
without notice until the machine in violation is cleaned or fixed.
23. The Department of Education reserves the right without notice
to freeze and delete an account that is engaging in activities that
violate the Department of Education's policy or the source of spamming,
abusive or malicious activities.